Tengerpart - Universally Speaking

My little trip to the sea last weekend was a crucially important event in my life like all occasions when I can get close to this umbracable, magical and fearful phenomenon. Coming from a country that doesn’t have its own sea, usually makes these encounters the symbol of everything that I will never have but I will always long for in life. Therefore whenever I’m sitting in the sand or on the rocks of a beach I’m trying to be aware of the importance of those moments, because those are the privileged moments in life when I own everything that I will never have but I will always long for.

It has been three months since I arrived to Amsterdam. Although I saw it on the map and I knew that the sea was close, I had to go there to realize that I live only 15 minutes far from all my dreams. This has never happened to me before: I have never lived so close to the sea and I’m a bit sad now that I have wasted three months here without being aware of this luxury. But I assure you: I will never forget it again. The glass of water from the tap, the rain from the sky, the tears from your eyes will all remind me of that actually I live (in) my dreams.

It’s hard to guess the power of the sea from the side, but undoubtedly the sea also has power on the ground which is hard to guess among the waves. When you are digging your foot in the wet sand of the beach, you are with all your dreams in the background: blue sky, blue sea, shining sun with hints of clouds and seagulls. And when you have to leave the beach, this picture stays carved in your mind and never leaves you. You will see that picture in the bottle of water you are taking with you in the train, in the flowers of the graveyard, in the different shapes of the snowflakes falling from the sky. You will see it in the blood coming from your finger, in the wrinkles of an old lady, in the ice cubes of your cocktail, in the sweating of your lover, you will see it under the shower. Because water is everywhere. Because water gives lives, water creates and water decides. Because water keeps you alive. Because water cleans you. Because water penetrates under your skin, surrounds you, overwhelms you. And if water leaves you, you die. Because water is love.

And when you fall in love, you are swimming in the endless sea. You are floating on the waves, you lose sense of time and space. You don’t remember from where you were coming, you don’t wanna know where you are going. You just want to find the deepest part, but you also know that if the narrow stripe of the coast gets out of sight, things can go terribly wrong. You learnt it when you first fell into the sea. You almost drown into it. You had to learn to swim to enjoy all the beauty of floating on water, and you also had to learn that you can also die of thirst in the sea… The most terrible experience of your life. But you keep on swimming. It makes you stronger, and makes you addicted to the sea. Because you still have a dream of losing the coast out of sight. The only thing you have to make sure that there is going to be someone waiting for you on the other side of the sea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Summer

Saves the Day

Dahab Diving memories I.