Kafka on the Shore

Early morning on the shore. I bend over to pull the shoelaces tight. I stretch my muscles with the usual moves. I push the button on my stopwatch. I’m already running when the three beeping sounds reach my ears. The sea is silent, there is hardly any passers-by on the pavement. I’m running slowly. I cannot get bored of the unbelievably blue colour of the sea and the fresh protecting breeze. My faithful companions on the way. I would like to run around the whole island couple of times. I never want to stop.

There is hardly any signs of last night’s parties. The flashing lights are switched off, people are fast asleep. I come across some elderly tourists – they are probably in the phase when the burden of age doesn’t let them sleep too long. Is it because they feel they still have so much to do in the remaining time? Is it the fear of death that doesn’t let them sleep? I will know when I get there.

A tractor appears on the beach to smooth away the traces in the sand, which were left behind by random lovers last night. Like the cleaning lady in the hotel arranges the sheets with firm moves in the morning, the sand gets ready for a new day beside the sea. I’m running further. The weakening noise the tractor gives reminds me of my forthcoming visit home.

I’m passing by beach bars every 500 meters. When I started running the metal boxes were still closed. At the second one, a waiter shows up to unlock the bar. At the third one, the waiter opens the windows: drinks and sandwiches pop up behind. Shots from a slow-motion movie. I know that when I get back, the waiter at the first bar will place ashtrays on each table. I like such predictabilities of life.

Today I won’t run around the island. My right knee sends me the sign to turn back. I’m not angry. I’m thankful that you took me that far. We are going to do lots of kilometers later, so I have to be patient now. The view from the other direction is amazing as well. The most important difference is that I can see from where I was coming, so I can see the end. A bit more realistic point of view. The thought that my running ends soon makes me run faster. When I run out of breath I slow down. I pass the church on the left and a sand castle on the right. From one of the bars I can hear the song that belongs to you.

I’m wondering if you belong to me. As long as I run on the shore with such a fabulous scenery behind me, I don’t really need an answer. When it comes to you, I have the impression that I’m still running forward and I never turn back. I cannot see the end. When it comes to you, I don’t have to count with my right knee, so I’m able to run around the island as many times as I want to. Because I never want to stop. If we meet on the way, and you need an answer all I can tell you is: I’ll always be faithful to my dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Summer

Saves the Day

Dahab Diving memories I.